Monster Mods Forum
Please log in to make post and check your personal messages. Or register if you are a new user.
Monster Mods Forum
Please log in to make post and check your personal messages. Or register if you are a new user.
Monster Mods Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xbox 360 Modding Community

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Change your Wii's drive LEDs

Go down 
AuthorMessage
CollinstheClown
M&M Addict
CollinstheClown

Xbox Version : No Clue. =O
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Change your Wii's drive LEDs Empty
PostSubject: Change your Wii's drive LEDs   Change your Wii's drive LEDs EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 8:47 am

Here is my tutorial on changing the LEDs for the drive light. (Click pics for large 1024x768)

Tools
-Soldering Iron
-Solder
-2 SMD LEDs of your choice(I used 2 0603 Red LEDs)
-Tri-Wing Driver
-Small flat head screwdriver(or something like that to pry something)
-Tweezers
-Electric tape*
-Solder Clip*

*Optional

Step 1 - Removing the Face
I forgot to take pics of the removal of the face, but on the left side under the 2 white stickers are 2 black tri-wing screw. Remove them. If I remember correctly that should be all you need to take off the face. Smile Simple right? Here is what we are working with:
Change your Wii's drive LEDs Th_DSC00013

Step 2 - Getting to the LEDs
What you wanna do after you remove the face is take out the slot, LED chips, and plexi. Start by undoing the wire from the face(this is an easy one!)
Change your Wii's drive LEDs Th_DSC00014
Change your Wii's drive LEDs Th_DSC00015

Then use your pry device to pry off the work area. First insert the device into the cutout closet to the wire you just removed. Gentle pry upwards. Then do the same to the middle cut out. This is all it took to remove the piece for me.
Change your Wii's drive LEDs Th_DSC00016
Change your Wii's drive LEDs Th_DSC00017
Change your Wii's drive LEDs Th_DSC00018

And there you have it!
Change your Wii's drive LEDs Th_DSC00019

Now remove the plexi, this is what creates the all around effect of light.
Change your Wii's drive LEDs Th_DSC00024

Here are the LEDs to be replaced(this was before I removed the plexi)
Change your Wii's drive LEDs Th_DSC00021
Change your Wii's drive LEDs Th_DSC00022

Step 3 - Remove the Chips from the plastic.
This step is a precaution so you don't melt the plastic by accident. First look at the wire, and remember it's path.
Change your Wii's drive LEDs Th_DSC00026
Change your Wii's drive LEDs Th_DSC00027
Change your Wii's drive LEDs Th_DSC00028

This is another precaution, tape the wires down to the board. The solder joints seem very weak and I had one break on me. I suggest taping them down, and removing the tape when the mod is complete. If one or two happens to break then just resolder it and tape it.
Change your Wii's drive LEDs Th_DSC00029

Step 4 - Replacing the LEDs
I don't have pictures on doing this, but this is my method. Tin your iron with a little solder, then heat one side of the LED then the other. Do this a few times quickly and you should be able to slide the LED right off, using the iron of course. Here is the end result:
Change your Wii's drive LEDs Th_DSC00032
Sparkle sparkle!!

Ok, now get out your LEDs. To give you an idea of how small these things are hee you go:
Change your Wii's drive LEDs Th_DSC00035

Ok, here's where it gets a little tricky. See the white rectangle aroung the LED's solder pads? Well the thicker line indicates the Negative pole. Also the old LEDs were 90°s. This means that you will have to solder the LED down on it's side. First place the LED inbetween the solder pads(if your LED is small like mine). Then turn it using twezzers.
Change your Wii's drive LEDs Th_DSC00036

Using a solder clip clip it into place.
Change your Wii's drive LEDs Th_DSC00037

Repeat this on the other side and your done! Close it back up, following my directions backwards and light that baby up!

Step 5 - Enjoy!
Change your Wii's drive LEDs Th_DSC00038

Mod on!

**I, Mike Collins, am not responsible for any mistakes, mess-ups, or whatever that may damage your Wii in anyway. Nor does any site that posts this. I give permission to distribute this as long as credit is given.**

-CollinstheClown
Back to top Go down

Change your Wii's drive LEDs
Page 1 of 1